"Castle of Glass" Musical Analysis

 Castle of Glass by Linkin Park is another throwback for me. Not quite as far as my childhood, but it still goes back to when I was about 12 years old. I've always liked this song. There are some songs that I listen to because of the lyrics, but for me, many songs are such that I just listen to them because I think they sound good. I think this song is a good blend of both. It has a really nice beat, it's pretty catchy, and the lyrics are also good. I think it's a great song overall. It wasn't the most popular of their songs, however, since its highest position on the U.S. Billboard was #16 on the U.S. Alternative Airplay Billboard. Since it was featured in a video game, it was nominated for best "song in a game" by Spike Video Game Awards and TheB30Web says that the song is a 9/10.

Music Video of Castle of Glass

Timbre

The tone color of this song is somber, yet also kind of hopeful, like something sad happened, but not everything is terrible. They achieve this by making their pitch pretty monotone and then layering their voices over each other, which adds some texture and interest to the song while still keeping the tone color somber.

Harmony

As I said in the timbre, Linkin Park harmonizes through most of the song to add depth and texture, yet they keep their voices at around one pitch to keep the vibe right. The harmonies are pretty subtle and a little hard to hear, but without them, I think the song would sound a lot blander.

Dynamics

The voices in the song start out quiet but keep getting louder as the song goes on. Initially, the lyrics are quieter, and the song builds until the beat drops and the drums come in pretty loudly. This theme continues through the rest of the song, until the end where it tapers off. I really like this kind of dynamics, it's pretty popular anymore and I can see why.

Tempo

The tempo of the song is at around 108 beats per minute. I think it's a good tempo for more of a catchy and somber song. It might sound like it would be a bit fast on paper, but it works very well with how they handled the rest of the song.

Lyrics

As with many songs, the lyrics can be interpreted in quite a few different ways. The way I think about it though, is someone trying to find their place in life. They've been through some stuff, and seen some things, so they are a little broken, but still trying to fit in and find their place. I think that this verse fits that description pretty well: 

"Bring me home in a blinding dream
Through the secrets that I have seen Wash the sorrow from off my skin And show me how to be whole again"




References

Ong, Benny. “Review: Castle of Glass by Linkin Park .” THEB30WEB, 24 Aug. 2012, theb30web.weebly.com/music/review-castle-of-glass-by-linkin-park.  

“Castle of Glass.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 27 Jan. 2024, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Glass.

Comments

  1. What a powerful song, and devastating music video. I agree with you that the song is catchy. They do a fantastic job weaving a devastating theme, through digestible lyrics. When I think of Linkin Park I commonly think of louder drums and guitar. To me, I felt as though they notably lightened the instruments to give space for the haunting and beautifully delivered lyrics. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good example of the electronic rock genre. I think it's interesting that this whole genre came about due to an advancement in technology not specifically for music (like an instrument). Electronic rock took off in the 60's, but came about from the invention of the phonograph which was the form of audio recording that led to what we have today that made this genre possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Bless the Broken Road" Musical Analysis